Monday, August 3, 2015

First Day of the 2015-2016 School Year!

Even though we have been out of school since May 14th, it still seems like it is way too early for school to already be starting back! Last night while we were trying to get everyone ready for bed, there were tears from Jackson, Ansley, Elsie (okay,and maybe a few from me, too) because they said they just weren't ready for summer to be over. Me either, kids, me either. Thankfully this morning both Jackson and Ansley had no tears and seemed excited about going to school.

Jackson is in the third grade this year! I'm dreading having to worry about the end of year test and letter grades, but since Jackson loves school so much, I know he will do just fine. When I dropped him off in the gym his morning, he was excited to see several of his close friends in his classroom. He gave me a kiss and a quick, "I love you, mom!" and joined in with a group of boys in his class.

 Ansley Kate is in the second grade this year, and is excited that she gets to change classrooms for the different subjects. She has been the one for the last few weeks talking about how excited she is for school to be starting back, but yesterday while we were up at my mom and dad's house and they were playing in the pool and on the slip n' slide, she got big tears in her eyes when we told her it was about time to go home. I asked her what was wrong and she said she wasn't ready to go back to school. I told her that I am just like her, and I get sad when fun things are over, but just because summer was coming to an end, that doesn't mean our fun has to.  We talked about some of our fun fall activities that we already have planned, and she seemed to feel a little bit better. This morning she seemed fine, and when I took her into the cafeteria to join the other second graders, the table that had her class only had eight students there at the moment, and all 8 kids were boys. Ansley squeezed my hand a little tighter and asked if I would stay there with her for a few more minutes. Her eyes started filling up with tears, and I kept talking to her about random things to get her to laugh and to keep her from crying. Thankfully a little boy that we are neighbors with that is a good friend of Ansley's is in her class, and then three more girls came in right about the time they were ready to go to their classroom. She gave me a hug and seemed just fine as she walked down to her classroom.

Before leaving the house Jackson and Ansley took a quick picture with Baby Felix and Elsie while Vada Belle was still in the bed.

Since school was only a half day today, I asked the kids what they wanted to do for the rest of the day, and to no surprise they chose to go to Mamaw Dianne's to play in the pool! Jackson said he wished everyday at school was like today and that they would just have to go a half day. He said that then they have plenty of time to play at home, too! Me too, buddy, me too! 
Elsie starts Kindergarten tomorrow, so I'll be posting even more pictures from the first day of school then. Here's to a wonderful 2015-2016 school year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment